Commonwealth Games update
Bit of drama, nothing too serious:-
Ongoing security fears - Gun attack on a tourist bus in Delhi last Sunday & outbreak of dengue fever in the city
State of the athlete's village UPDATE - BBC Photos Here- Reports of stray dogs, faeces, stagnant water, unhygienic bathrooms, employees urinating openly in public areas.
Footbridge to get to the main stadium has collapsed - 23 workers injured
From BBC News
- Athletes' village - Indian media reports only 18 of 34 towers are completed
- Yamuna River - flooded in worst monsoon rain for 30 years, leaving pools attracting mosquitoes
- Nehru Stadium - part of false ceiling collapsed in weightlifting area
- Bridge leading to the Nehru Stadium - collapsed on Tuesday
- Jama Masjid Mosque - Two tourists injured in shooting near mosque, Indian Mujahideen threatens more attacks
- Shivaji Stadium - no longer to be used as a venue because it was not going to be ready in time
- Yamuna Sports Complex - roof damaged by heavy rain in July
It's best to think positive... like 2010's comeback swimmer of the year.
Geoff Huegill's reaction to Delhi's problems:
“As long as there’s water in my lane, I’m set to go”